I was obsessed with boondoggle as a kid. Do you remember the stuff? I spent hours making key chains and bracelets and trading them with my friends. Turns out boondoggle uses the Chinese Staircase Stitch. It’s a really fun and easy knot that also works in your hair!
1. Gather the hair to one side. This is going to be the center section.
2. Take a small section of hair from the back of the center section.
3. Bring it over the center section making sure to leave a nice hole. It’s going to resemble the number four.
4. Reach through the hole with the hand that is closest to the hole and grab the end of that strand.
5. Pull it through and combine it back into the center section. Congrats, you’ve just created one side of your Chinese Staircase Braid! Continue by just braiding down like I’ve done, or you can do a regular Chinese Staircase Stitch by bringing the next section the opposite way.
6. When you get to the end, tie it off with a clear elastic band.
7. To make it more interesting, I’ve gone ahead and braided my bangs back!
Play Around! The Chinese Staircase Stitch I’m wearing is one-sided and the detail is all in the back. You can also play around with where you knot the hair. If you want the detail in the front, sweep the new section of hair away from your face instead of toward it. For a fun effect you can twirl your one-sided stitch around so it looks more like a spiral staircase. Play around with this style because it’s a fun one!
The New Braiding Handbook
60 Modern Twists on The Classic Hairstyles
More from my site
Tags: chinese braid men, chinese staircase bracelet, chinese staircase braid string, chinese staircase braid tutorial, chinese staircase hair wrap, chinese staircase ponytail step by step, how to do a chinese ladder braid, staircase haircut